Thursday, May 17, 2007

Live from fucking nowhere!

So, here we are.

This is being started as a way to channel my general frustration at, well, basically everything. Mostly, I feel a screaming need for a creative outlet. I plan to update regularly, hopefully a couple of times per week, if not more. Mostly, politics and entertainment type stuff, cause that's what I know.

With that in mind: For anyone who doesn't know, the White House issues a weekly radio broadcast from the President. I believe it plays on Saturdays. I don't really know (or care) because I get the podcast of the statement.

This past Saturday, the 12th of May, President Bush was discussing immigration, and he uttered the following: "We must honor the great American tradition of the melting pot. Americans are bound together by our shared ideals, an appreciation of our history, and an ability to speak and write the English language."

Is it just me, or does the last third of that sentence seem to somehow negate the rest of it?

I agree, a working knowledge of the English language is important for immigrants to have, particularly if they're working in certain fields (I refer you to Lewis Black's "White Album"). But really, do you need to drive that point home? Wouldn't homogenizing into English take away from that "melting pot" you're so proudly defending?

What an asshole.

No comments: