Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Desperately Trying To Be Understood

There's something of a human need in being understood by other people. This is one of the main purposes of verbal communication. But the problem here is that all this shit is subjective.

The word "love". I say "I love you" and you return the sentiment, but how do I know that you mean the same thing I do? How do you know what I meant to begin with? Having an idea about these concepts means that you've dealt with them in some capacity, but you are the only one who identifies them for yourself. Does that make sense?

So here we are, trying to find understanding in those around us, filled with the need to reach out and touch these people, and communicate ideas, but so often we talk and our words fall dead to the ground, because words can only have the meanings we give them. The ideas we try to communicate don't express themselves as words in our minds, though there are words we attach to them, to try to make them relatable. And sometimes it works. We have Democracy. We have Law, and Philosophy.

Fuck. This isn't what I meant to say.

The last time I asked someone if she understood me, the last time I needed to know, she said "i do try. i love you, charlie."

But I know she didn't. And I know she doesn't. And I know why.

Fuck me.

How can we be known? How can I express myself? Why do I feel like I'm fucking insane?

No comments: