Wednesday, June 2, 2010

If You Like Pina Coladas...

Managing to complete the first season of Lost is something of an accomploshment for me. I did it like an (adhesive medical strip), one quick motion. Well, three quick motions. And, to the show's credit, I'm actually looking forward (*hesitantly*) to season 2.

First, I should clarify: "liveblogging" is not exactly the word for what I'm doing, but it's the phrase closest to what I'm looking for. Doing both at the same time would be a bit tricky.

It might just be me, but every time they smash to the Lost theme and title screen, I feel like I'm watching a film noir from 1954.

To be sure, the season drags. This needs to be clear. But it's an acceptible tedium, simply because of the size of the cast. When working with 12-15 main characters and trying to get each one at least one story to themselves per season, the beginning will be necessarily slow going. It's only around episode 17 or 18 (that's "...In Translation" and "Numbers") that the show really starts to find its' legs, beginning to answer one or two questions (who hit Sayid? Locke) and, more importantly, weave the web that draws all the characters together through coincidence or design.

For now, however, the Hatch is breached, the raft has sailed, and child has been took. Onwards and (so we hope) upwards!

No comments: