Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I Can't Think of Any Desert Island Puns That I Don't Want to Use in My Lost Posts

Taking a short break from my blistering criticism of Lost, I've returned to bring you my Desert Island Discs. Stealing the idea from the England, I've compiled a list of the 10 songs I plan to have with me when I inevitably wash up on a deserted island. It's a slightly different list than one might expect, because these aren't necessarily the best songs ever written, or indeed, even the best songs by their respective artists. Instead the emphasis (for me) is in different aspects of these choices, several of them are beautiful pieces that I wouldn't want to live without, while others are an embodiment of all the superb elements of their individual artists. I could continue on like this, but instead, in No Particular Order, the list:

1. "Mr. Blue Sky" - Electric Light Orchestra

What sort of trauma would you have to have suffered as a child to not love this song?

2. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts i-vii)" - Pink Floyd

It's like 25 minutes of sick psychedelia. I love the Floyd, and this is one of their greatest songs, both in terms of length and, uh, awesomeness.

3. "Good Vibrations" - The Beach Boys

This was a tricky one. I didn't want to put it on my list at first, because I figure that being marooned is not the most pleasant of experiences and "Good Vibrations" would just piss me off. But frankly, like "Mr. Blue Sky," one cannot but feel good whilst listening to "Good Vibrations."

4. "Your Ex-Lover is Dead" - Stars

Stars are still my favorite band, and this song is gorgeous. The first song I ever heard from them, and BAM!, instantly hooked.

5. "The Wolves (1 & 2)" - Bon Iver

Wonderful. Pretty sure I couldn't live without this one.

6. "You Can't Always Get What you Want" - The Rolling Stones

I love the Stones. I almost picked "Sympathy for the Devil," but I feel that "You Can't..." will be more appropriate to my new desert island home. Also, it's like 8 minutes long. And awesome.

7. "Love Love Love (Love Love)" - As Tall As Lions

It's just so lush. This song, "The Wolves" and "Your Ex-Lover" will be my escape. Just close your eyes and float away...

8. "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie

David Bowie is the man.

9."Oh Comely" - Neutral Milk Hotel

Without employing hyperbole, this is perhaps one of the greatest songs ever written. My esteemed colleague used the title track from this album, which is also excellent, but "Oh Comely" is transcendent. Really, the only thing I can do is echo his desire to take the whole album. But I suppose I can settle for this one song.

10. "Section 12 (Hold Me Now)" - The Polyphonic Spree

I figure The Polyphonic Spree would be another one of those bands that would help to make the isolation somewhat more bearable with their rather unique brand of symphonic choral pop-rock (I love that phrase). A song to stave off despair.


This was hard. I very much wanted to put "Radio Radio" by Elvis Costello, or any of a number of songs by Radiohead or Wilco or any of my post-rock bands. However, these are 10 songs that I could listen to indefinitely, that will always move me, make me smile, keep me company on those hot Havana nights. Or... whatever.


The faderist (aka The Audiophile) has put up a list as well, and it is here: http://thefaderist.wordpress.com/

No comments: