Thursday, October 11, 2007

I Have Bad News For You...

So, it turns out I was wrong. I know, I know, it's a rare occurrence, but we must be able to own up to our mistakes.

Ron Paul is crazy as fuck.

I know, I know. I was all about this guy not long ago (hours. Seriously). But it has come to my attention that he is batshit nuts. And I need to make sure that you know that he is batshit nuts as well. Without further ado:

"
The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers. On the contrary, our Founders’ political views were strongly informed by their religious beliefs." -Ron Paul, 2003

...whoa. That's not even close to pretending to be correct. This is from the Treaty of Tripoli, signed in 1797, approved by the President and the Senate: "
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries." Jefferson hated the idea of church and state being anywhere near each other.

He was in favor of keeping the Ten Commandments on a courthouse lawn (link
) and co-sponsored a prayer in school amendment (link).

And if that wasn't enough to make you stop and go "Hold on a second...", well, I've got more bad news. He's sort of been supported by... some white supremacists... yeah...



(PLEASE NOTE: Those are not my opinions in the video. I am NOT batshit crazy.)

I gotta be honest, that video makes me giggle, even though it's, you know, hate filled and all.

So yeah... don't vote for Ron Paul. Vote for Howard Dean.

No comments: