Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Truth:

I am a liar.

I constantly lie to you. There really is no way to tell the truth. Objectively, that is.

Well, not the complete truth, anyway.

There are a few reasons. One is that it would simply be impossible to tell the "whole truth and nothing but the truth". It doesn't truly exist. And besides, if I tried, I would never stop writing, so much would I be trying to replicate exactly what happened. Exactly what's true. Another reason for my deception is the idea that the truth is made somehow more true through fiction. See: Gonzo journalism.

And it's not like I lie to you. I would never lie to you. Certainly not.

But...

Well, there are some times I obscure facts. There are times I fudge reality. And there are times I leave out large portions of the truth.

I'm afraid that if I told you the truth, the full truth, the true truth, you would think me insane. You would find me dangerous. You would question my mental capacity. Because the dark shit I've actually told you doesn't even crack the tip of the iceberg.

No comments: