Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Ennui (That Inescapable Feeling)

Ever been too bored to sleep? Too bored to fuck? So bored that even getting high doesn't help?

Cause I have. I am right now, in fact.

The crushing feeling of having nothing to do and the knowledge that everything you do is meaningless. Because that's the flip side of true boredom. Of true ennui. Having that feeling that tells you, yeah, okay, you could be doing something, but there's nothing worth doing, everything worth doing has been done, and you'll never be able to make any difference.

Boredom is a lot like existential angst. But it's a lot more boring. At least when I get angsty, I go for a run or something. I feel compelled, not the opposite.

The insidious creeping death of anything you feeling like doing. That's boredom.

I'd keep going, but I really can't be bothered.

No comments: